Monday, September 10, 2012

The Redwood Forrest

We practically live in the National Redwood Forest.  I have seen huge Redwood trees less than 10 miles from our house.  I'm sure there are some closer.  But, I wanted to go where the big ones grow!  This has always been a dream of mine.  I never thought I would get to see the Redwoods.  I'm not sure why they have always intrigued me, I have always been fascinated by huge trees.  Riley had Labor day off so I planned a whole day of adventure for us.  I don't think any pictures I have seen or things I have read accurately illustrate the actual size of these trees to me.  --And I know I won't be able to.--  They are so amazing.  I was in awe and Heavenly Fathers creations.   We found a short easy hike--essential when hiking with little kids.  But there was no shortage of Redwoods here! 

Here is a tree that was on the drive to the grove.  We all fit inside of it.  It was hallow for probably 50 feet up!  Ok Gracin didn't actually go inside but he definitely would have fit.
Here is one that was right where we parked the van!  This was one of the few covered in moss.
Hazel had fun on her first ride in this hiking backpack. 
The forest was so pretty and green-- like everything in this part of Oregon.

Can you find me in this next picture?  Yeah I'm about as tall as the ferns growing on the ground!

Redwood trees are the tallest living things on earth!  They can grow to over 300 feet, and live 2000 years!






After a few min into the hike, the only trees we could see were Redwoods!





This was by far the biggest tree here.  And the biggest tree I've seen.  (we even drove thru a tree I'm sure was smaller than this beast)




No comments:

who's checking