Friday, August 13, 2010

Preschool--Flowers

We had a great week in preschool! Rhylan brought home colds for Gracin and I, but I am proud of myself for not giving in. Preschool rain or shine...or sick!! This week our theme was Flowers! We did miss one day of preschool for a play date, with Mary, Rachel and Margaret!!--After preschool today, Rhylan gave me a big hug and said I love you mom!!--Ahh, This was the right choice for us.

Art: Rhylan used her fine motor skills to make flowers. She used her fingertips and colored ink pads to create circles and lines = flowers! She really had fun with this one, and I think her flowers turned out beautiful.

Science/Sensory & Field trip/Gross motor: We went on a walk around our neighbor hood and backyard to collected flowers. We actually got a bunch of different kinds and colors. No we didn't steal them from anyone's yard! She used her magnifying glass to observe them. Then we flattened the flowers in a text book for a few days for later use.

Math/Sorting/Matching: I turned the flat flowers into cards. Rhylan helped me glue them to construction paper then I cut and laminated them. Then we explored them. We talked about different features, colors, petals, sizes shapes, etc. Rhylan sorted the cards by colors, big and small, and played memory. I made sure to pick at least 2 of each flower on our flower hunt.
(click to enlarge for detail)

Writing/Language: And then we learned about the letter Ff. Flower starts with Ff. I made flower tops with dashed lines in the form of F and f. She glued them to a paper, traced the letters with finger paint and then used a paint brush and paint to make the stems. Then we did a little free style painting. This girl loves art and science!
(click to enlarge for detail)A few other things: For our beginning alphabet song, we used a magnifying glass to "see" each letter as we sang. We used a Magic Wand to point to each letter and number as we sang. The wand even lights up so that was extra fun. And we used a dry paint brush to trace the numbers to practice writing and recognition.And for an extra activity Rhylan put magnet letters on a paper I printed and stuck to the fridge! Do you notice anything about the letters she choose first?
Yep she picked all the letters in her name first. Not my idea, all Rhylan:)

5 comments:

Rachel said...

You posted a new one too quickly! I wanted to tell you that I love that picture of the little girl! Great composition and expression! Are you coming home for Christmas or anytime around then? We need to swap some family photography sometime!

Mauricio and Tiffany said...

Looks like preschool is going really well! I am very impressed. I bet it feels good to put your education to good use and see such fun results. Rhylan seems to love it!

Rhylan: Tiffy loves your pretty pictures. You are so smart to know the letters in your name. You are such a big girl. I am so happy that you are in preschool. I love you!

Julie said...

can you send some of your inspiration my way lol?! so fun that you are doing preschool with Rhylan. When did you start doing crafts with her? I'm trying to figure out when a good time to try to do things with Boston would be. like simple stuff lol :)

The Sullengers said...

I'm so impressed with your preschool - what a fun idea and a great one on one time with Rhylan!

Hasegawa Crew said...

Oh my gosh you are an AWESOME MOM!!! What great ideas you have I love it. Your kids are getting so big and they are soo adorable.

who's checking