Sunday, October 28, 2012

Gracin in preschool

I started doing home-school preschool with Rhylan at about the age Gracin is now.  Gracin has a big interest in learning so I wanted to start teaching him preschool when Rhylan started Kindergarten.  Gracin loves to learn, read, count, write, and identify letter sound and names.  He really hasn't shown too much interest in art like Rhylan did.  They are total opposites.  Rhylan hated learning about letters or trying to read-with me.

The idea of putting a preschool program together was a little overwhelming for me.  That is what stopped my progress with Rhylan.  I didn't plan far enough ahead and then I got sick of planning.  So I had a fun idea.  I asked a couple of my friends (from around the country) who had little boys about this age to make a year of preschool lessons with me.  We each made 4 weeks of lessons then put them together and BOOM we had 32 weeks of lessons.  The girls were so creative and Gracin and I are loving doing these together.

The first week was about trains... total hit with Gracin.  These train cars have the numbers 1-10 written on them.  He first had to put them in order.  Then we got out some animals and he put the correct number of animals in each car to match the number written.


We got 2 weeks of preschool in before we took a break to pack and move and settle in.  This week we started again.  He learned about the letter Hh for Halloween.  I didn't take any pictures but Gracin had a blast with the sink or float science experiment, learning a new song, and practicing letter Hh. He even traced the letter and did well.  He runs around the house and draws letter H in the air all the time saying "down down over!"  I'm so proud of him for wanting to learn.  So far he loves preschool, I'm hoping we both stick to it.

4 comments:

Colette said...

LOVE the train idea!!!

The Sullengers said...

I've been a slacker, but I need to pick it back up! This post motivated me :)

Jill said...

I am so grateful I was included in your preschool project idea...Matt & I have both enjoyed working on different lessons with Ethan.

R and A Lambert said...

Glad it's been working for you! It became a nightmare for us so I've not been doing it for several weeks. Caleb just doesn't want to pay attention!

who's checking