Thursday, November 8, 2012

Emergency preparedness

Recent events have gotten me thinking about emergency preparedness.  I often get all excited and make list and plan then get over whelmed and don't get very far.  I also had to get rid of most of our food storage and water storage containers when we moved to Oregon!  I feel so unprepared.  I found something on Pinterest that caught me eye...*who doesn't!* 

The idea was in case of a disaster, I need to have 3 days of meals ready to make without heat and little water.  You never know when the power is going to go out.  When we lived in Mississippi, our power was out once for 2 days and I really had a hard time feeding my family without going out to eat.  So I am determined to come up with a 72 hour kit to feed my family.  The food needs to last about 6 months before rotating. I want every thing I would need in one place.

Here are my ideas, thought this might help someone.  Also if you have another idea please leave it in a comment so we can all see it!

Day 1
Break: Cereal & powdered milk, canned fruit, water-for powdered milk
Lunch: V-8 juice, Canned tuna, relish, mayo, crackers
Dinner: Juice boxes, Peanut butter, honey, crackers, apple sauce
1 gallon of water per person

Day 2
Break: instant oatmeal with brown sugar, powdered milk, water
Lunch: Canned fruit, nutella, crackers, raisins
Dinner: Juice box, apple sauce, Tuna, relish, mayo, crackers
1 gallon of water per person

Day 3
Break: Cereal & powdered milk, water, apple sauce
Lunch: V-8 juice,  re-fried beans, crackers, canned fruit, salsa
Dinner: Juice box, peanut butter honey, crackers, raisins
1 gallon of water per person

Snacks: granola bars, dry cereal, fruit snacks, beef jerky,
Baby: Baby food, formula, lots of water,
Paper plates, cups, and utensils so you don't waste water washing them.

1 comment:

Brittany H said...

I just re-did our 72 hour kits. It sure can be a lot of work! Your meals look great! I may have to steal an idea or two next time. :)

who's checking