Thursday, February 4, 2010

Buddies

Rhylan, Jeffery, Koda , Owl, Black Face

Rhylan has four "buddies" she sleeps with every night. I think she would sleep with every stuffed animal she owned if I let her. But since there is a limit, she is very attached to these guys. She is aware when somebody is missing from the sleep over. We have started using them as rewards for good behavior during our bed time routine. One buddy for each activity. (Scriptures, story, family prayer and Rhylan's prayer). The first night she didn't get to sleep with Koda. She was pretty upset, ever since then bed time has gone much more smoothly!! Meet the buddies:

Jeffery: Her favorite right now. He is the oldest. She got him from the Hogle Zoo in Salt Lake. It was her first trip to the zoo, and at 10 months old she was very interested in the giraffes. So her daddy bought her Jeffery, and he named him by the way after the toys r us guy. Yes lately he has been sporting some baby doll pj's. Once Gracin spit up on them and we had to wash them that day so he could sleep in them again.

Koda: Granny Sue worked at the coolest store in my hometown. It was a tourist store that sold "Wood-sy" type stuff. The "Burly Bear" had the coolest stuffed animals. So she got this special bear for Rhylan when we moved away. He is named after the little bear on the movie Brother Bear.

Owl: Rhylan met an owl in person at the Memphis Zoo last spring. We stayed there talking to the trainer, holding it, forever. Rhylan talked about owls for weeks and weeks after. They are still her favorite bird. Granny Sue found this great owl at the Burly bear again! She got it for her second birthday.

Black Face: During those potty training months, Rhylan earned a "big treat." Riley promised her she could get something at the consignment sale we were going to. This was his thing so I let him deal with it. I couldn't believe she picked a stuffed animal she has a TON!!!! But I guess it was love at first sight. Daddy let her sleep with the bear that night, and forever more he was known as one of the buddies. He recently got his name. I think maybe 4-5 days ago she just started calling him Black Face instead of "the black bear."




4 comments:

Chris and Sue Knight said...

oh my goosh, Carly will be able to relate to the stuff animals, they are her favorite things too. In fact I'm noticing that I've collect several animals myself, as an adult.
But I sleep with only one buddy. Stuffed animals or dolls are great buddies for kids.

Josh and Kelly said...

Don't you feel like your teaching comes in handy every day?! Good management technique with the bears, that was brilliant! We miss you guys too, I can't believe how big your little family is getting!

Mauricio and Tiffany said...

Good stuff! I do have to say black face is my favorite of all the buddies names! And I love the buddies as incentive to do her bedtime activities!

RiChArd and MeReDitH said...

That is a really smart idea! You are brilliant...I will have to remember that in the future. I wonder if it would have the same effect for boys?

who's checking