Saturday, June 13, 2009

What did you do yesterday?

(I know so many people have posted about this, if you are from Mississippi disregard this message)

Yesterday we spend some time in the bathroom.

I went into Memphis to pick Riley up from school and we headed home. We were followed by a sever storm that eventually caused the tornado sirens to go off! Before moving here I didn't know they had those. We were almost home when the storm hit. I'll admit I was a little scared. Trees were breaking, branches and other things were flying sideways across the road and it started to rain hard. Riley kept his eye on the road and I kept my eye out for a tornado. Power was out and all the stop lights stopped working. We got inside and watched out the window until things got looking really scary (lots of stuff flying sideways, almost black sky) Then our apt building made this weird noise and I decided we needed to head away from the windows. They say go to the basement...don't have one of those! Bathroom is the next best thing. We grabbed a couple blankets, popsicles, and our battery lantern, and camped out there until the storm passed.

We heard that the power would be back on by 11:00pm (Friday night) so we went out to eat and played some games by lantern at a friends house. Then we called the power company again and they said no power until Sunday and noon!!! We were all a bit worried. We had a deep freeze full of food, no ac, no hot water, no electricity. "What are we going to do?" Mostly I was relieved that we were spared any harm... we could always buy more food. It was a hot night and of course with the many things on my mind sleep was not easy. Not to mention the LOUD thunder storm going on outside. Good news though, power came on today around 1:00 pm so we only had to throw out the fridge food, the freezers were fine! And we will all get a warm shower for church tomorrow!

7 comments:

Josh and Kelly said...

Scary! Glad to hear you're okay. I guess freaky weather comes with a new place!

RiChArd and MeReDitH said...

They have some wicked storms out east! We had tornado sirens go off two times in the year we were in KY...It never got that scary though! I'm glad all was well

Mauricio and Tiffany said...

Scary! I would have been freakin out!

Cleona said...

We had a bad storm here too last Thursday and had no power at our place for 24 hours. I am not excited for the crazy weather here.

Julie said...

scary!! I fear tornado's! glad you knew what to do! :)

Susan said...

I've actually enjoyed looking at everyone's blog to see how they dealt with it! I just hope this isn't an annual event!

Heidi Joncas said...

Wow! That is crazy!!

who's checking