Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Preschool--lizards

Last week was a crazy, stressful week. We only were able to do a few days of preschool. We learned about lizards...can you tell she loves animals?

Art/ Language: L is for lizard. I drew this very beautiful, very artistic lizard. Then Rhylan used L stamps to decorate it. She loved trying out all 4 stamps and had to use all three ink pads. Stamping is a skill, she picked it up quick:)
Science: Cold lizards. I froze several toy lizards in some ice. It took me a few days to get 8 lizards frozen in different levels. Then we learned that lizards liked warm weather and needed to get out of the ice. At first I asked her what we should do to get them out she had a few ideas...cut them out, smack them out (hammer). She thought the hammer idea was working pretty good until we tried cool water, warm water and salt. We eventually took it out into the sun.

She got so excited when she would set a lizard free! Afterward we ate popsicles and I quizzed her on what she learned. Here is our little convo word for word, I wrote it down:)

How did we save the lizards?--with hot water
What else did we try?--hammer, salt
What worked better, cold water or hot water?--mmm, hot water
What happened when we poured hot water on it?--it get out huh?!
What happened to the ice when we poured hot water on it?--it melted
Why did we go outside?--cause it can warm up
What did you learn about today?--ice
What did you learn about ice today?--we melted it, we go outside, we have lots of fun today huh?!

And our field trip was to the pet store. I had planned to go to the zoo, but with two fevers, I didn't think an outside outing was a great idea. At the pet store we looked at all the animals but we talked about lizard and found all the lizards in the store.
--sorry no pics--

4 comments:

Mauricio and Tiffany said...

oh I love the frozen lizards idea. I also love when you write down conversations with Rhylan word for word. It's always so cute.

Rachel said...

How creative! When I first read about the frozen lizards I thought that you had gone out and caught real live lizards and froze them!

Savannah Williamson Photography said...

Sick rach!!!! I don't even touch lizards, I am a chicken.

Savannah Williamson Photography said...

I changed to to avoid any more confusion:)

who's checking