Thursday, June 10, 2010

No makeup and glasses--Dr's orders!

On Tuesday morning I woke up with an itchy, sore eye. So I decided to not put in my contacts. As the day went on, my eye got more red and really sore. By bed time, the white of my eye was all pink and my eyelid was swollen. It looked like I had a lazy eye. I had a migraine and the light made my eye BURN!!!

When I woke up, I couldn't even open my eye. My eye wasn't crusted shut, it just HURT to open it, and would voluntarily shut. Having a future optometrist in the house, I asked his advice. He said it is probably allergies. (I had planted a flower garden the day before) So he looked up some good allergy eye drops for me to go get. Good thing Walgreens is only 1 mile from my house. It was a scary drive, I don't think it should be legal to drive when you can't keeps your eyes open. But I was hoping for some relief with the drops. I had to buy a pair of sunglasses just to make it back home. The drops did nothing. Riley had been calling me throught out the day and had talked to some of the Dr.s at the school. They suggested I come in to see what was wrong. Riley had to come all the way home and pick me up.

It turns out that there is several layers to the cornea, my outermost layer had some erosion that caused a hole in that layer. Not serious but really painful. Its like when you get scraped and the next layer of you skin is exposed, it's tender and sensitive. They gave me antibiotics to stop the infection, and pain medicine that dilated my eye but also helped numb my eye. I didn't feel relief until this morning, I am just as good as new. That layer of cornea can heal quickly about 24 hours.

So here are my ugly, no makeup swollen eye pics.

3 comments:

Mauricio and Tiffany said...

Yikes! I am glad you guys figured it out.
P.S. I am pretty sure it IS illegal to drive if you can't keep your eyes open!!

Margaret and Murray Pratt said...

Ouch! I thought your glasses were so cute today at swim lessons! Hope your eye makes a full recovery soon!

Brittany H said...

OUCH! Next time call me and I will go get your eye drops!!! I'm glad it's feeling better though.

who's checking