Sunday, June 20, 2010

Riley + Father Day= Reptile show

Yep we went to a reptile show this weekend! We drove to Birmingham Alabama and had a fun mini vacation. The show was at this Zamora Temple. Here they are ready to go in and see all sorts of amazing things.
Riley and Rhylan especially loved it. Riley "was in heaven" he said. He really had a great time talking to vendors, seeing creatures he has never seen before, and checking everything out. This was a perfect Fathers day gift for him:)
I was a little bit nervous. There were WAY TOO MANY snakes in one room for me. I hate snakes more than anything. I have nightmares at lease once a week about snakes. But I was brave and actually had some fun taking pictures of all the reptiles. So I posted a ton of pictures so you won't need to go to a reptile show yourself you can see all the highlights here on our blog:) However, I am sure this is not the last one we will go to. It was way better than the pet store, and was a great way to spend some time together on a Saturday.
The girl who opened up this container for us, was actually surprised that he climbed out like this and quickly put the lid back on! She was a little scared.

These are baby albino Garter snakes!
Rhylan wasn't scared and got right up to the cages to get a better look.
Riley loved this snake. It is a Kenyan Sand Boa! This was a new snake to him. I guess they are pretty cool?!? With a lot of peer pressure from my husband, daughter, and the nice lady selling these things, I actually touched this one. But Rhylan held it!!! See next picture. She didn't want to let him go.


In this picture you can see the type of people we were hanging out with!! Just kidding, there were many normal people there too:) Not everyone had a weird go-tee and snake tattoos all over their arms.

These turtles were so cute. They were only about 2.5 inches across.


Do you see this face? This is a very very sad little girl. She wanted to take home a lizard for a pet... not just any lizard...

...THIS LIZARD
She cried and cried. We told her that we couldn't take him home he was already someones pet. She said, "Can we just borrow him? I want to borrow him!" We had to go back and look at him several times. He is a Savannah Monitor lizard, and apparently very cuddly.
Yeah I was really freaked out by this one. Most all snakes were in closed cages...

Gracin was a little low in his stroller to see much. He was only happy when we were holding him up to see.





7 comments:

Rachel said...

There's a huge lizzard called the Savannah lizzard and you didn't take it home for a pet! What a mean mom! j/k

Mauricio and Tiffany said...

Oh I literally laughed out loud when I saw the lizard she wanted!! Oh that was priceless. What a brave girl, she takes after daddy with the love of gross animals. What a fun Father's Day activity! And props to you for being there with all those SNAKES!!

Pierce Family said...

I love that she wanted that HUGE lizard as a pet! =) Too funny! Looks like you guys had a fun vacation.

Susan said...

Ew. I hate snakes too. You are a nice mom/wife!

Chris and Sue Knight said...

I like the tiny frogs the best. I also like the 2 pictures that you posted the other day best of Brigham.
He sure is a cute baby. mom

Josh and Kelly said...

You guys should take a trip to Dominica- plenty of reptilian life here for Riley!

Luna said...

That was quite the sad face!!!!!

who's checking